August 20, 2017
THE RICH YOUNG RULER
The Rich Young Ruler (Mark 10:17-31)
Are you under “the influence of affluence?” If money were no object and you could buy anything you wanted, what would you purchase?
True or False
- It is a sin to be rich.
- God provides everything we have.
- We can spend our money on whatever we want.
- Riches are always a sign that God is pleased with someone.
- It is hard to be rich and still please God.
- God knows whether we trust in Him or whether we trust in our money.
Our story today reveals three important truths about the power of wealth to influence our decisions about life and eternity.
It reveals our common desire for spiritual satisfaction and the assurance of eternal life.
It reveals the false assumptions many of us have about wealth and our spiritual lives.
Goodness can be achieved.
Eternal life can be earned.
Everything can be bought for a price.
III. It reveals the true value in following Jesus.
Conclusion: When is “too much—not enough?”