Partnering together with parents and kids
to build faith that lasts a lifetime!
WC ELEMENTARY • SUNDAYS AT 1PM
It’s Fun! It’s Live! It’s every Sunday at 1PM—See you there!
NEWS AND RESOURCES
December 27, 2020 & January 3, 2021
For the next two weeks, you can follow the Early Life and Elementary Links below for a few ways that you can wrap up 2020 and get ready for 2021.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! We hope you have a wonderful Christmas break.
(from article: How to Spread Peace in a Pandemic by Caroline Madison, from crosswalk.com)
1. Remember that God is Sovereign.
2. Pray as a first resort.
3. Take some time to worship.
4. Watch your thoughts and your words.
5. Make good use of your time.
6. Check up on your neighbors and friends.
8. Smile at people.
December 20, 2020
It’s the fourth Sunday in Advent! This week we are focusing on the Peace from Angels, and lighting the Peace candle in Sunday Services. When the angels visited Mary, Joseph, and the Shepherds, they said “Do not be afraid.”
In Early Life, help your kids learn that Jesus literally is “GOD WITH US.” Do you want to know what God is like? Just look at Jesus! Click on the link below for more ways to show your kids who Jesus is.
In Elementary, we conclude our Christmas unit this week and study how wise men traveled from far away to worship Jesus as King. Jesus is the true King, promised in 2 Samuel 7, who is worthy of our worship. Help your kids find meaningful and sincere ways to worship Jesus this week as they continue to celebrate the birth of Jesus and even after Christmas day has passed. Follow the Elementary Link below for more information about our lesson and activities to do with your children.
Spread more Joy!
1. Read Scripture, do a search on God’s many promises and reflect on them.
2. Ask a friend to pray for you, ask how you can pray for that friend.
3. Spend some focused (non-interrupted, non-phone) time with your family.
4. Go for a walk on the beach, a local hike, a walk around the neighborhood – not to accomplish a task, but to enjoy it.
5. Make a list of things that bring you joy.
6. Compliment someone.
7. Discover what brings other people joy (ask them!).
8. Smile at someone.
9. Hum a hymn or a favorite worship song as you shop.
10. Listen to this Bible Project Video on Joy.
11. Reflect on what the angel said, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause GREAT JOY for all the people.” Luke 2:10
December 13, 2020
It’s the Third Sunday in Advent! We will be lighting the JOY candle during Sunday Services this week. Click on the links to see more lesson information, videos, songs, and activities you can do with your family.
In Early Life, we are focusing on Jesus and the very first Christmas. He is “God with Us.” What JOY we can experience when we see that God loves each of us so much that He came to BE WITH US! Follow the Early Life link for more!
In Elementary, we continue our Christmas unit this week by celebrating the birth of Jesus. It was fitting that Jesus was born in a manger and that the first people to hear about His arrival were the shepherds in the fields. Shepherds were outcasts from society and by God announcing the birth of Jesus to them first, God was declaring that the Savior was for all types of people everywhere. Help your children develop a heart for all people this Christmas season no matter what language the speak, what they look like, or where they live. Follow the Elementary Link below for more information about our lesson and activities to do with your children.
Spread More Hope!
1. Hold the door for someone.
2. Buy a stranger their coffee.
3. Collect books and donate them to a school or shelter.
4. Have your kids help you gather and wash some of your old towels and blankets and donate them to a pet shelter.
5. Offer to run errands for your elderly neighbor.
6. Share an encouraging story on social media.
7. Invite a family to do the Advent activities with you.
8. Smile and wave at someone.
9. Leave a generous tip.
10. Call a friend or family member just to see how they are doing.
11. Donate Blood this month: Click here!
12. Print out and color a few Christmas cards and leave them on your neighbor’s doorsteps.
13. Write and send a note to someone who is isolated (see link below).
MORE ABOUT EARLY LIFE AND ELEMENTARY
We believe that the more you know Jesus, the more you know what really matters! Our key verse for ministry is: “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)
Here’s a few more things about our staff team:
Early Life Director
I love to see parents and preschoolers singing songs, learning about the Lord, and learning to love each other and grow as a family in the first years of life. God has a special place in his heart for the youngest people in our church! We have such an opportunity to share with babies and preschoolers, firsthand, just how much God loves them.
I’m married, with two teenagers and a dog. I love to hang out with my family boating, skiing, or doing anything outside, but also love a good book by the fire or a chat over coffee with friends.
I love introducing children to the Gospel Story of the Bible and helping them become lifelong disciples of Jesus. I love the humor, the hugs, and the honesty of elementary children. I grew up at Westminster and found it a great place to learn and develop my faith and gifts. My hope is that elementary children will feel that Westminster is their church where they can learn to love like Jesus and develop their gifts.
My husband Dan and I have 3 children who are all adults now. In my free time, I enjoy reading, history, hot tea, and doing jigsaw puzzles with my husband Dan.