Asking for a Friend – April 18, 2021
Can I Lose My Salvation?
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. – 1 John 5:1-13
While difficult at times to comprehend God wants us to be sure of our salvation. This is often referred to as the doctrine of eternal security or less formally, “once saved always saved.”
Three truths to examine…
- The reason for our assurance.
- We are saved by grace, through faith.
- Romans 5:6-11
- The result of our assurance.
- Our eternal security is the result of God keeping us, not us maintain our own salvation.
- John 10:28-29
- The response to our assurance.
- We are free to live as God intends.
- John 8:36
- What is something new you learned today? What follow up questions do you have?
- How would you answer the question, “how do you know you are saved?”
- Why do you think people often question their salvation? What causes you to question or doubt?
- What difference does the doctrine of eternal security make in your faith? How does it help you? How might you better apply it?
- How do you respond to God’s offer of assurance? How is this different from other offers we might receive?
- Spend time in prayer asking God to draw people to Himself.