I AM: The Light of the World
John 8:12 | Mark Pedrin, Connections & Communications Pastor
“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” -John 8:12
We need the light of Jesus because…
1. Light drives out the darkness.
- In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. -John 1:4-5
- In what areas of life can you invite Jesus to shine his light and drive out the darkness?
2. Light lets us see one another, and see ourselves.
- I f we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus purifies us from sin. -1 John 1:7
- If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For the person who does not love his brother he has seen cannot love the God he has not seen. -1 John 4:20
- Where are the places you and I need to ask for or extend forgiveness?
3. Light makes us partners in the works of Jesus.
- You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. -Matthew 5:14-16
- We are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for Good Works in Christ Jesus, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. -Ephesians 2:10
- How can we continue to walk in Good Works in the days ahead?
- What is something that stood out to you from today’s message?
- Reflect for a moment on how the gospel message first reached you. Who were the people God used? What were the circumstances he brought to your life?
- What is the most important next step you could take as you follow Jesus today?