RESET | Water into Wine
Mark Pedrin, Connections and Communications Pastor
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. –John 15:1-14
1. The Picture: A Vine and its Branches
- John 15:1, 5
2. The Purpose: A Life of Fruitfulness
- John 15:1-2, 8
3. The Process: A Call to Abide
- John 15:4, 9-14
The Vinedresser’s Pruning
- John 15:2, 6
- Fruitfulness Principle #1: God will intervene with unfruitful branches, because branches are meant to bear fruit.
- Fruitfulness Principle #2: For branches that are bearing some fruit, God will prune them to produce even more.
- What parts of this message connected with you, and what parts didn’t?
- Do any of the ‘alternate’ places we go to find our identity fit into your life story?
- When you hear that “loving one another” is central to our spiritual life, how does that fit with your own experience?
- What next steps do you feel led to take today?