Walk Before You Run :: Ephesians 5:1-14
Key Verses: Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 5:1-2).
How it Happens: Put off your old self, […] be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness (Ephesians 4:22-24).
1. The Goal: Putting On Your New Identity (5:8-11)
We are “beloved children” and “children of light,” adopted into God’s family. How awesome!
2. The Fundamentals: Putting Off Idolatry (5:3-7)
Idolatry says “God You aren’t enough… I need and deserve more.”
- The Idolatry of Using People
- The Idolatry of Abusing Language
- The Idolatry of Craving More Stuff
- Heart Check: Where does Idolatry have root in your life?
3. Three Practices for Being Renewed
- Renewal through Solitude: Get away regularly to reset, refresh, and hear from God
- Renewal through Simplicity: Cast off those things in life that drag you down
- Renewal through Submission: Come under God’s mission – “I give everyone and everything to you, God”
Discussion / Reflection / Next Steps:
- This week invite God to show you areas where your relation to people, language and stuff could use some ‘putting off’ and renewal.
- Did God bring to mind any changes in this area that you’d like to make? Tell someone else about it.
- How could Solitude, Simplicity and Submission become part of your spiritual practice? How could you make regular space for them in your life?
- What would it mean for you to Walk in Love this week? Ask God to empower you to do it!